Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Those Damn Hubig pies!!!

For those of you who have never had a Hubig's fruit filled fried pie, I feel sorry. Sure, they are probably one of the most unhealthful bakery items you can eat but damn are they tasty.

Hubig's Pies are a New Orleans' institution (not as famous as our beignets but equally loved). They have several bakeries around the local area including 2 blocks from my home. The smell of fresh baked Hubig's goodness permeates the neighborhood. The Hubig's mascot is a baker named Simon. His likeness has been used in everything from t-shirts to fine art. 

I bring this topic up because I noticed that my favorite flavor, blueberry, is now available. Hubig's only offers the blueberry a couple of times a year so when I see them, I become a Hubig's Pie Hoarder. I buy them in the grocery, I buy them in the corner store, I buy them anywhere I see them and hide them neatly away in my freezer.   Luckily they are available for very limited time.

1 comment:

  1. I'm an apple girl but will have to try a blueberry before they become extinct. So if you happen to find me poking around in your freezer, just look away.

    And how can something that has fruit it in be unhealthy?!?!? ;-)

    ReplyDelete